By Nilroy K. Dutta, Qiang Wang
This precious publication offers a entire remedy of the layout and purposes of the semiconductor optical amplifier (SOA). SOAs are vital elements for optical verbal exchange platforms with purposes as in-line amplifiers and as useful units in evolving optical networks. The sensible functions of SOAs have been first studied within the early Nineties; considering that then, the range and scope of such purposes were progressively transforming into. "Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers" is self-contained and unified in presentation. The remedies within the e-book are certain sufficient to trap the curiosity of the curious reader and sufficiently whole to supply the required historical past to discover the topic additional. it really is meant for use as a complicated textual content via graduate scholars and via practising engineers yet can be compatible for non-experts who desire to have an summary of optical amplifiers.
Read or Download Semiconductor optical amplifiers PDF
Similar optics books
`The ebook is a superb source for physicists and engineers within the box. It includes many principles and sensible info for the layout and development of microoptical units. 'Optik, 110:6 (1999)
The function of optical tools is essential and impacts all parts of human task, from clinical research (such as spectrometry) to activity and hobbies like images and tv. Optical parts are usually a necessary a part of the software, yet aren't continuously noticeable. it really is for that reason important and critical to appreciate how they paintings.
The sector of radiometry might be harmful territory to the uninitiated, confronted with the chance of mistakes and pitfalls. The innovations and instruments explored during this e-book empower readers to comprehensively examine, layout, and optimize real-world platforms. This ebook builds at the beginning of sturdy theoretical knowing, and strives to supply perception into hidden subtleties in radiometric research.
- Essential Quantum Optics: From Quantum Measurements to Black Holes
- Scanning Probe Microscopy: Characterization, Nanofabrication and Device Application of Functional Materials: Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Study Institute ... II: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry)
- Handbook of 3D Machine Vision: Optical Metrology and Imaging (Series in Optics and Optoelectronics)
- Electrodynamics of Solids
Additional info for Semiconductor optical amplifiers
2. 1 Gain as a function of output power for multiquantum well ampliﬁers. 2 ﬁer . ch02 31 Operating principle of polarization insensitive multiquantum well ampli- strained quantum wells contribute mainly to TM gain and to TE gain to some extent. The ratio of TE to TM gain (given by ratio of the matrix elements) for electron-light hole recombination (in tensile strained material) is about 1 to 4. The ratio of the number of both types (compressive and tensile) strained layers and their widths are optimized in the structure so as to yield polarization insensitive gain.
3 Spontaneous emission rate At unity quantum eﬃciency, the total spontaneous radiative recombination rate R equals the excitation rate. 12) with R = rspon (E)dE where e is the electron charge and the thickness of the active region is assumed to be 1 µm. rspon (E) is the spontaneous emission rate at a photon energy E. It is given by [3, 4]. rspon (E) = 4πne2 E m2o ε0 h2 c3 +∞ −∞ ρc (E )ρv (E )|M (E , E )|2 f (E )[1−f (E )]dE . 3 µm). The calculation is for an undoped lightly compensated material with 1017 cm−3 of acceptors and donors, respectively.
The quantity Mb arises from the band-edge Bloch functions and Menv arises from the envelope wave functions. 10) where mc is the conduction-band eﬀective mass, Eg is the energy gap, and ∆ is the spin-orbit coupling. The envelop matrix element for the band-tail states have been calculated by Stern . 3 µm) with acceptor and donor concentrations of 2 × 1017 cm−3 . 96 eV) InGaAsP at various injected carrier densities . FA January 2, 2006 40 9:9 SPI-B340: Semiconductor Optical Ampliﬁers (Ed: Chee Hock) Semiconductor Optical Ampliﬁers was done using Gaussian Halperin-Lax band tails and Stern’s matrix element .
Semiconductor optical amplifiers by Nilroy K. Dutta, Qiang Wang