By Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,
Selected by way of selection as a 2012 impressive educational Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A spouse to ladies within the historic World provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from fashionable students at the research of girls within the historic world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of readings to handle the learn of ladies within the historic world
- Explores a wide diversity of themes when it comes to girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess concept; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the kin, the kingdom, and faith; gown and Adornment; girl Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; ladies in past due Antiquity; Early ladies Saints; and lots of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of ancient subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions in terms of girls in antiquity
- Includes contributions from a few of the so much well-known students linked to the learn of ladies in antiquity
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World PDF
Best ancient & classical books
Dio Cassius (Cassius Dio), ca. one hundred fifty– 235 CE, was once born at Nicaea in Bithynia in Asia Minor. at the demise of his father (Roman governor of Cilicia) he went in a hundred and eighty to Rome, entered the Senate, and less than the emperor Commodus was once an recommend. He held excessive workplaces, changing into a detailed pal of numerous emperors.
The fantastic success of Greek arithmetic is right here illustrated in volumes of chosen mathematical works. quantity I includes: The divisions of arithmetic; arithmetic in Greek schooling; calculation; arithmetical notation and operations, together with sq. root and dice root; Pythagorean mathematics, together with homes of numbers; sq. root of two; share and skill; algebraic equations; Proclus; Thales; Pythagorean geometry; Democritus; Hippocrates of Chios; duplicating the dice and squaring the circle; trisecting angles; Theaetetus; Plato; Eudoxus of Cnidus (pyramid, cone, and so on.
This e-book addresses the matter of Milton's poetics of the fervour, a convention he revises by means of turning clear of overdue medieval representations of the crucifixion and drawing as a substitute on prior Christian photos and substitute innovations.
Classical authors used either prose and poetry to discover and clarify the flora and fauna. In Aetna and the Moon, Liba Taub examines the range of how during which historic Greeks and Romans conveyed medical details. Oregon kingdom collage Press is proud to provide this inaugural quantity within the Horning traveling students sequence.
- The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila by Herself
- Appian: Roman History, IV, The Civil Wars, Books 3.27-5 (Loeb Classical Library #5)
- Histories, Volume IV: Books 8-9 (Loeb Classical Library)
- Fathers and Sons in Athens: Ideology and Society in the Era of the Peloponnesian War
- The Image of the Jews in Greek Literature: The Hellenistic Period (Hellenistic Culture and Society)
Additional info for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
Green. Photo: Courtesy Dallas Museum of Art. 286. Photo: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. 3 Portrait of woman with hairstyle similar to Matidia. Madrid, Museo del Prado inv. 356-E. Photo: DAI Madrid, neg. no. D-DAI-MAD-WIT-R-081-87-06, P. Witte. 4 Idealized portrait of Matidia. Luni marble. Rome, Palazzo dei Conservatori, Musei Capitolini. Photo: Vanni/Art Resource, NY. 1 Tombstone of Regina from South Shields (RIB 1065). Photo: courtesy CIAS, Newcastle University. 1). Photo: courtesy CIAS, Newcastle University.
Salowey is an Associate Professor of Classics at Hollins University in Roanoke, Virginia. She has served twice as the Gertrude Smith Professor at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. Her interests are burial monuments of the Archaic, Classical, and Hellenistic periods and the cults of Herakles. She has published on Herakles as a cult figure, Archaic funerary korai, and the use of math and science in the teaching of ancient art. Gillian Shepherd is Lecturer in Classical Archaeology at the Institute of Archaeology and Antiquity (IAA), University of Birmingham.
Crete, Herakleion Archaeological Museum. Photo: Nimatallah/Art Resource, NY. 2 ”Lady of Phylakopi,” terracotta figurine from Melos. Mycenean, fourteenth century BCE. Melos, Archaeological Museum of Plaka. Photo: Erich Lessing/Art Resource, NY. 3 Anthropomorphic terracotta vase (“Goddess rhyton”) from Mochlos. Early Minoan III, late third millennium BCE. Crete, Herakleion Archaeological Museum. Photo: Nimatallah/Art Resource, NY. 4 Ivory female triad from Mycenae. Minoan craftsmanship; Late Minoan I, sixteenth century BCE.
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World by Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,